Q. What is the role of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission?

Each Advisory Neighborhood Commission is made up of a group of non-partisan, volunteer and elected local representatives. The role of the ANC is to advise the D.C. government and agencies on matters pertaining to the neighborhood on issues including — but not limited to — housing, transportation, and public safety. 

Read more about the role and responsibilities of ANCs here.

Q. How often does the ANC 5E meet?

ANC 5E meets 11 times a year, with the exception of August.

Meetings are held every third Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. ET.

ANC 5E holds Committee of the Whole Meetings on the first Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. ET.

The full schedule of ANC 5E meetings for 2024 is available here.

Q. I have a matter that needs to go before the ANC. How do I get on the agenda?

If this is a proposal for approval from the Zoning Commission, the Board of Zoning Commission, the Historic Perservation Office, or the Department of Transportation, etc., ANC 5E ask that you contact the president/chair of the Civic Association to be placed on its monthly agenda to present your proposal to the community.  

Secondly, after you have shared your proposal to with the civic association community, then you may request to be placed on ANC 5E's agenda by the appropriate commissioner or the chair.  

Please note that prior to being placed on the ANC5E's agenda, you must have presented your Zoning Commission (ZC) and Board of Zoning Commission (BZA) proposals to the appropriate civic association.

If you are requesting a hearing for ZC or BZA proposal, please ensure that you have discussed and/or received written support letters/petitions from the surrounding neighbors which includes both sides, front and back of your home (which consist of at least 200 feet surrounding your home). This may help your proposal to move smoothly with the ANC 5E.

ANC5E can be contacted at 5E@anc.dc.gov or you can reach out to individual ANC commissioners.

Q. I am interested in being part of a committee. Do I need to be an ANC Commissioner to participate?

Committees are open to residents of ANC 5E. Each Single Member District is represented by two residents, who serve in volunteer capacities. Volunteers do not need to be elected officials or ANC Commissioners. 

If you are interested in serving on a committee, contact 5E at 5E@anc.dc.gov or your ANC Commissioner.

Currently, ANC 5E is soliciting volunteers to serve on the following committees:

Q. How do I contact my ANC Commissioner?

Contact information for ANC Commissioners for 5E is available here. You can locate your Single Member District and ANC here

Q. How do I request city services?

City services can be requested by calling 311 or by placing a request online.

Q. When does street sweeping begin?

Street sweeping begins from March through October. See details here.

Q. How do I contact the Ward 5 Councilmember?

Ward 5 is represented by Councilmember Zachary Parker. Contact information for the Councilmember and his staff is available here.